Three years ago Olympus launched a new model of camera in the PEN E-P1 and ushered in a new era of photography. The PEN series, with its combination of a classic design asthetic and cutting edge technologies, has changed the way we view what a camera can be. Today we announce the next epoch
in interchangeable lens digital cameras.
Meet the OM-D E-M5.
The Olympus OM-D E-M5 will come in black or silver from April 2012.
Featuring an integrated 1.44 megapixel electronic viewfinder and 16 megapixel LiveMOS image sensor, the OM-D E-M5 is the world’s fastest auto-focusing camera and is equipped with the world’s first five-axis image stabiliser integrated into its weather-proof alloy body.
The OM-D series heralds a new technological epoch in interchangeable lens digital cameras, as conventional digital SLR camera designs come to an evolutionary end in user experience and portability. With its high-resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF) and real-time digital interface, the Olympus E-M5 immerses the photographer fully into the creative process through a genuine WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) experience. Exposure, colour and filter effects are seen live, not after the picture has been taken.
Using FAST-AF (Frequency Accelerated Sensor Technology Auto Focus), that combines the high drive speed of the new LiveMos sensor, the latest MSC (Movie & Stills Compatible) lens technology, and a very short release lag, the E-M5 is the world’s fastest* autofocusing camera. 3D subject tracking is a new feature in continuous AF mode for enhanced focusing accuracy of moving subjects.
Olympus has also developed world’s first five-axis image stabilisation (IS) system. In addition to the standard two-axis camera pitch/yaw movement detection and compensation, the system in the E-M5 is also capable of detecting vertical and horizontal translational movement, and roll along the lens axis. IS compensation is effective up to a maximum of -5 EV. With a newly designed mechanism for shifting the sensor, the effects of IS can be seen live through the electronic viewfinder in both still shooting and recording video.
For maximum convenience, an eye-level sensor automatically switches Live View between the rear OLED touch-sensitive screen and the EVF when the camera is lifted to eye-level for shooting. This new tilting 3” OLED capacitative touch-screen enables tap-shooting with focus point selection, and image playback control.
The new 16 megapixel LiveMOS sensor with a maximum 240fps frame rate captures broadcast quality Full HD video. A newly designed video processing algorithm provides superb video quality with significantly reduced aliasing. Undesirable rolling-shutter effects are now reduced to negligible levels.
Designed as a creative tool that you can take with you everywhere, even in inclement conditions, the E-M5 is both splash and dustproof**, and features a light yet robust magnesium alloy chassis.
1. Electronic Viewfinder with 1.44 megapixel resolution (advanced aspherical optics, 18mm eyepoint and 100% field of view)
2. World’s fastest autofocus speed using FAST-AF technology (with 35 AF zones and 3D AF tracking)
3. World’s first 5-axis image stabiliser (maximum -5 EV stabilisation capability; live image-stabilised view; built-into camera body; stills and video)
4. 16 megapixel LiveMOS high-speed image sensor (ISO 25600 maximum sensitivity)
5. TruePic VI advanced image processor
6. Full HD video with Multi-motion image stabilisation (broadcast quality; stereo sound)
7. 3 inch tilting OLED touch-screen with 610,000 pixels
8. 9 frames per second sequential shooting rate
9. Splashproof and Dustproof metal alloy chassis
• New EVF Creative Control function provides live interactive highlight and shadow adjustment and white balance control
• Ergonomic twin input control dials
• Bundled with clip-on FL-LM2 weatherproof flash
• Wireless flash control (when the bundled FL-LM2 or the new FL-600R strobe unit, is attached)
• Shutter speed range 60-1/4000th seconds including Bulb
• 120fps maximum EVF display rate in still shooting with 29ms display lag enables sequential shooting display with minimal viewfinder delay (default frame rate is 60fps, adjustable to 120fps). Video refresh during video recording is as fast as 240fps, reducing the rolling shutter effect entirely.
• New Li-ion battery BLN-1 and new charger BCN-1
NEW SYSTEM ACCESSORIES
HLD-6 battery grip kit
HLD-6 kit comprising the HLD-G and HLD-P. It provides for both vertical and horizontal camera holding, or just vertical if the top half (HLD-G) is used without the battery pack grip (HLD-P). A total of two BLN-1 batteries – one in the camera body, one in the grip can be used together. Features weather-sealing.
FL-600R Flash Strobe
The new FL-600R flash strobe has a maximum guide number of 50 (ISO200) and can work either as a wireless commander or slave strobe with both E-M5 and PEN models. The flash head tilts down 7 degrees and up 90 degrees, with 180 degrees rotation on either side. It uses 4 AA batteries for fast recycling, has a built-in wide diffuser panel for a 16mm equivalent coverage, and a small pull-out reflector plate to create catch-lights in portraits. For video recording, it has a built-in 1W LED.
Underwater Case PT-E08
Works to a depth of 45 meters. This new housing uses a waterproof lens port that is bayonet-mounted and replaceable. The standard underwater lens port accepts the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 IIR and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 lenses. When an optional port adapter is used, an underwater lens port compliant with the Four Thirds System standard can be attached on it. This design is expected to make the two lenses, the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm f3.5 Fisheye and ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm f2.0 Macro, usable with the underwater case.
As the FL-LM2 flash provided as standard with the OLYMPUS OM-D incorporates the wireless flash control function, it can also control the UFL-2 Underwater Flash.
For more on the technology behind this amazing new camera, read our OM-D EM-5: Breaking Down the Tech Blog post.
*As of Feb 2012 based on Olympus in-house tests; when the M.Zuiko Digital 12-50mm lens is used
**Camera becomes fully environment-proof when used with the M.Zuiko Digital 12-50mm lens